Marketing with Meaning: Health in Numbers

I'm not one to usually pay much attention to commercials, but I recently saw a United Health Care spot that caught my attention.



Besides the fact that I think it is visually interesting it really touches on an area that I am seeing more and more of in health care marketing and that is the idea of turning numbers, data into knowledge and action. This is particularly true when you think about ongoing disease management.

However, since this is a blog focused on digital marketing, I do have to wonder how targeted and effective the TV campaign is? Wouldn't digital be a more cost effective and targeted way to convey that message - especially if you are trying to target a patient population with a chronic disease?

There is a visually interesting, if not very user-friendly microsite but no associated Facebook page.

In the end, managed care plans are largely employer driven and we're past normal enrollment periods, so I am curious to understand the rationale for a splashy TV campaign. I think using digital and social media marketing would be more targeted, cost efficient and ultimately more effective for United Health Care, but I bet they didn't hear that from their agency.

As I have said in the past, TV is sexy but in most cases the reach and frequency game does not create measurable ongoing engagement.


| www.jlefevere.com | www.thedigitalstrategist.com | If you liked this post consider adding a comment or subscribing to the feed for frequent updates.
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments: