Atlas Shrugged

I saw an article on CNN about the famous (infamous) novel by Ayn Rand called Atlas Shrugged that indicates that in this economic situation that sales have taken off in the last 18 months. I distinctly recall a similar article back in the late 1990s/early 2000s saying the same thing. I remember this because I actually went out and bought the book and had a heck of time slogging through it. So much so that I went and borrowed the book on tape from my brother. That proved to be futile too. My attention span hasn't improved any over the last 8 years either so I don't think I am going to read it now, but what has struck me is that it soared to popularity during the dot-com era when great sums of money were being made, companies were going public and it was a general period of well-being. Now, we're in a period of economic uncertainty and it's popular, that polarity is very interesting to me.

The basic premise and theory is based on a free-market philosophy and objectivism. Interesting because in good times it touches on the ability for man to pursue happiness or "rational selfishness" and in bad times when it comes to keeping government out of labor.

I don't have a grand conclusion but I do find it interesting that a single book can be tied to to such opposite economic eras in a 10 year time span, but it proves a few things that will endure and that is self-preservation and the pursuit of success and by default money. Regardless of the economic situation, there will always be money to be made....

| www.jlefevere.com |


If you liked this post consider adding a comment or subscribing to the feed for frequent updates.
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments: