Where the Buffalo Roam

I am a big fan of the blog WebWorkerDaily and besides being amazed by his ability to parse and provide very useful utilities and information, but his whole edict his around being a free agent and working independently. An interesting notion that I think will increase over time.

And then there is this post by Steve Rubel over at Micro Persuasion that discusses digital nomads. I agree that there is likely a rise in the free agent nation and Web 2.0 technology does enable this, but the trend is not new. Fast Company magazine had a feature on the growing Free Agent Nation back in 1997--11 years ago.

In it is a quote from Kinko's founder, Paul Orfalea, that read in retrospect is interesting to juxtapose against Timothy Ferriss' book The Four Hour Workweek

"People think I'm busier than I am," he jokes. "Basically, I've got this job down to about six hours a week. The rest of the time, I'm wandering."
The point being, the trend is not new and it will continue to grow. I've discussed the flexibility aspects here in the past. However, I'd like to see that accelerate a bit...
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments: